View Single Post
Old 06-05-18, 14:29

I don't consider my answer to be definitive.
Neither the complete needle and seat or subcomponents appear in the C60X-04 parts list.
Considering other Canadian vehicles that used the 270 in the same period: Parts list CAC-02 for the Fox only lists the Zenith carburetor - no Carter mentioned.
Parts list CRAC-02 for the Otter is similar to the Fox.
Parts list C15TA-02 is like the C60X, lists both the Zenith 28AV11 and Carter W1-589S and like the C60X listing, I don't see any of the part numbers on the package in the parts listing.

My understanding is that for Carter Carburetors the W-1 is a basic design/model and that the numbers 589S (and many others) describe sub-models of the W-1 series with particular set-ups to suit specific vehicles or groups of vehicles. Things that might be different (not sure which actually apply) include float setting, jets (idle, low, high speed), choke style (solid plate, hinged plate, plate with poppet), size of venture/horn, orientation of choke shaft (parallel or perpendicular to throttle), fuel delivered by accelerator pump, presence of governor (or not), and more.

For anyone interested, parts list C60S-03 lists the following in order of adoption (all Carters) 387S, W1-518S and W1-518SA. I presume the difference in models between C60S and models using the 270 is related to the increased air and fuel flows due to the difference in displacement.

My feeling is that the jet and seat might fit other W-1 applications than the 270 in the staghound but that I wouldn't rush to do it without more research to be sure it wouldn't mess things up (similar to Rob Love's viewpoint).