Thread: Heads Up: Denim Tank Suit news
View Single Post
Old 08-01-18, 04:18

So the sizing based on modern dickey coveralls is not how it is going to be sized? That is what I thought you had originally planned on? That is a shame since I can go about anywhere and make sure the size fits.

After the size screw up I had with the bespoke pixie suit I am leery of his sizing applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Burrill View Post
"Sorry for the delay in posting this...

I did a hot water wash and hot dryer run on the sample suit.

Like I suspected, there is shrinkage, like with bluejeans.

I measured several points, like the sleeve length, inseam, crotch to waist, shoulder to shoulder. Collar.

Worse shrinkage was in the length of 2" in the inseam. collar had no shrinkage and the sleeve length was about 1.5".

I discussed it with Irfan. He asked me to do a good iron and measure, which I did with no noticeable change.

The solution we worked out is in two parts - Irfan is recalculating the patterns to add more fabric to the pattern pieces so when you get it, it should fit looser than you expect, and after a good hot wash and hot dryer, it comes down to the size that is on the label.

You the buyer, will plan on the shrinkage in the first hot wash. Subsequent washing should be cold and probably close-line dry.

Next sizing thing is the inseam.... we have to keep it simple on the inseam because each single chest and waist could have 4-5 different inseam lengths.

If you think yourself on the tall side, ask for a Tall for your size. Irfan will send a suit that is about 2" longer int he inseam for the same chest and waist.

Some people may find they have a good general fit, but the legs are too long. In that case a local dry cleaner or tailor shop can take up the pants cuff and restitch the tab and buttons.

I just drafted a new size chart for the order form and I am sending it to Irfan now to review and confirm.

Personally, I am ordering a size 5/XL

I am 5"11. chest is 42-44 and a waist of 38". However age and occupation and a general loathing for gym workouts has me a bit larger around the belly button than I am at my belt-line. SO the XL should give me ease over summer clothes.

Irfan sent me a Large and over t-shirt and jeans it was "Snug" across the belly but the other areas fit closely. So I would order next size up.

Trying to sort out the fake size labels is a challenge. An Army Size 4 for one garment will not fit a soldier like any other Size 4 for a different garment.

You would think on induction, a soldier would be measured and told " Remember this! You are a Size 5! always ask for a size 5 from the quartermaster for everything!"

I swear, I could make a doctoral thesis on clothing sizes in WW2!