View Single Post
Old 17-02-17, 04:54
carrier mech

The model number is actually a CT50D. They were bought in the late 80s for airfields. I looked after about 17 of them when I was in MooseJaw. Their purpose were as aircraft mules with the smaller planes like the Tutors.

There were some faults with them which I corrected, and I guess the work was good enough that the Life Cycle manager actually flew out from Ottawa to look them over, as well as to resolve some issues the airforce was having with them. In the end, I had to write TFRs along with the solutions I had made, and they got adopted word for word as modification instructions on the vehicles. For instance, you can see the pop-in sealed truck lamps on the back of this one......I made up that modification to replace some cheap 1950s type lights that were contstantly breaking and leaving FOD on the runways.

In the last few years there has been a surplus of them, and as well they are finally being replaced. The surplus ones were offered to the base maintenance units as shop mules, and this one has undergone some modifications.

We are on the list to get one at the museum, not as an artifact but rather as a capable utility vehicle. The only real problem with them is that they are 2 wheel drive, so traversing snow or soft ground will be out. The LCMM has contacted us to tell us that we have not been forgotten, and that Winnipeg will soon be getting their new mules, so we are expecting one pretty soon.

Last edited by rob love; 17-02-17 at 05:03.