View Single Post
Old 04-01-21, 10:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
How are the shackles themselves? The uneven position of the shackle could be a seized shackle bushing. You'll know when you go to remove them. Often though, a seized bushing results in a broken spring eye.
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. The shackles and bushings were new when I reassembled the chassis, about 7 years ago. I also applied some copper grease before reassembly, so I'm hoping they won't be seized. Both front shackle positions were fine until I dropped the engine in.

Replacement springs for the M38 are a problem over here in the UK; nobody sells them! So I can either settle for 8-leaf WW2 jeep springs, or pay out to have some shipped from North America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
Are the springs set differently on the front like an MB or GPW, to allow for the driver fuel tank etc. Quite different in the war time jeeps, from side to side, if memory serves me well.
Hi Lynn,

Your memory is correct. But no, left and right are the same part number on the M38. Wonder if the extra two leaves maybe negated that requirement? I know that moving the steering bell crank from the axle onto the crossmember did away with the torque reaction spring.

Owen.
1936 Opel Olympia
MVPA # 39159
MVT # 19406