View Single Post
Old 23-05-11, 22:29
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kreiner View Post
the differences between the American G8T (is the 2G8T you refer to the same vehicle?) and the Canadian MCP Ford trucks.
Bill, when I looked into this five years ago I thought the G8T and 2G8T are the same truck, but from different model years:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
as decribed by Data Book of Wheeled Vehicles: Army Transport 1939-1945, the US-built Ford 3 ton 4x2 with 6-cyl. engine and 158" wb chassis must have had the Ford US model code G8T for 1941 models and 2G8T for 1942 (and onwards) models.
But, looking at the information below, it could be the difference between G8T and 2G8T are not the model years but the differences in specifications:

Now, it will not surprise you the US Ford 1.5-ton truck is more alike the Commercial types built by Ford Canada. The basic military version has five stud wheels, military paint and military cargo body. As I cannot see a petrol tank my guess is this is under the front seat as per the commercial model:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff davis View Post
Maintanance Manual for Ford Truck 1 1/2 ton Model 2G8T
contract # W-398-QM12874
TM 10 1539 May 1st 1942
The manual includes photos of 5 stud wheels
Then there is one which has more military specs: beside the features of the first one, this one has beefier six-stud wheels, petrol tank on the outside of the chassis and black-out lighting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Watson View Post
The other is TM-10-1347 Maintenance Manual for Ford Truck 1 1/2ton 4x2 built for US Government Model G8T Contract No. W-2425-QM-655 and W-374-ORD-2865 dated 15 June 1943 with this picture
http://www.sol.co.uk/n/nwts/images/Trucks/G8T.jpg
Hope this helps (at least to confuse you further. . . )

Hanno

PS: if you click on you will jump to the original posting