View Single Post
Old 29-09-14, 08:06

My two cents is that I see some hope out there...in a few weeks Fury will hit theaters and like Brad Pitt or not he is going to do a lot to raise the profile of our hobby...a major Hollywood film with real tanks, including an actual Tiger running amok? Fantastic I say! This will spark the imagination of a lot of kids who only have a passing interest in WW2 or military vehicles. As well the online computer game World of a Tanks has over 70 million registered players....that is a lot of interest in tanks...from a crowd I'm guessing is a touch younger than all of us! (45 here)

I think we as a group need to capitalize on these kind of events and do our part to help get the younger people interested...I'm going to tell you having crotchety old guys tell me my jeep was wrong because of a non-period shovel or that an in progress restoration should not be shown in public with primer spots, didn't really do much for my enthusiasm for the hobby when I was younger..sometimes we are our own worst enemies...I know out where I live there is no shortage of infighting amongst collectors clubs and groups that only serves to turn off newcomers, really of all ages.

And I'm really not sure we should look at the eventual drop in value of the vehicles as a negative either, I mean the prices as they are today are almost ridiculous, a drop in prices will allow those non-billionaire types to get into the market and help perpetuate the hobby...I see that as a positive outcome of the eventual price decline predicted.

One final aspect is that governments, certainly in North America, are no longer selling off the vehicles to the public like in years past...there will be no M1 Abrams to replace the Sherman's and Stuarts in collectors hearts as there is in other hobbies...our own government won't even allow worn out tank tracks to be sold to the public, they are all controlled goods that must be destroyed...if the current service vehicles are reset or shredded...what will spark the interest of a new generation?