View Single Post
Old 23-05-22, 03:12

Gentlemen, thank you for your input, that has given me much to ponder.
To quickly answer some questions
WS11 was used throughout the campaign, it worked they could mend it and it met their needs..
Supply dumps were established throughout the desert. Petrol, water, food and medical supplies seem to be the main items. No mention of batteries, let alone different types/spec.
Batteries. The truck battery and the wireless battery on the driver sidestep are the one known about. Whether the wireless battery was 12 volts? I'll see what I can find about any other batteries, but currently looks like too few batteries for the job. I need to look into this.
Chore horses are mentioned but the inventory (late 1942) suggests there were only enough for HQ. However at other times the situation could be different.
The photo suggests to me that there was one large knife switch and 3 other smaller (knife?) switches, as opposed to 4 ganged together. however I understand the concept of the ganged 4 switches, just trying to work out how that idea could be accommodated by the truck 's wireless set up.
I presume the trucks were supressed for wireless use, maybe all the trucks at the factory, but there is no mention of it.
The trucks in the film 'Sea of Sand' were mostly Dodge trucks, but there was at least one (ex RAF?) Chevrolet 1543 long wheel based truck modified to look like a 1533X2.

I think I need a lie down for a few days to take on board all the information and then cross reference it to any documents!

Attached is the best view of the wireless battery on the sidestep. I don't know if that helps in any way. 12 Volt maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
BS_13_06.jpg