View Single Post
Old 09-08-08, 01:02

Default Aust LP2 field modified Mortar carriers

I have been researching units in the Darwin area during WW2, that may have had Mortar Carriers, why? I have a field modified Mortar Carrier and when restored would like to put it into correct markings etc.

I have been concentrating on the 10/48 Aust Inf Bn due to some photos showing carriers in the Darwin region.

Routine Orders or Notices (AWM52 item 8/3/47 Dec 42) para 442 mentiones that 'Carriers MG and Mortars will NOT be driven in the Bn HQ - HQ Coy area or in the coy camp sites or billet areas at a greater speed than 5 mph'.

I have found (AWM52 item 8/3/47 Jan-Feb 43) that the 10/48 Aust Inf Bn Combat Efficiency Report dated 17 Jan 1943 has listed 21 Carriers on strength and 6, 3" mortars.

Also mentioned (AWM 52 item 8/3/47 Mar 43) is a movement schedule for the 10/48 Aust Inf Bn to move to Fortress Darwin. In the schedule or matrix are listed at serial 6, Mortar Pl - 7 carriers. Listed at serial 8 are the rest of the carriers; Carrier sect -3 carriers; CO - 1 carrier; Ammo carrier - 1 carrier; spares - 9 carriers (list 4 as MMG carriers)?????

When you add them up, they equal the 21 carriers listed in the Combat Efficiency Report.

This shows that the 10/48 Aust Inf Bn had Mortar carriers from late 1942 to at least mid 1943 in the darwin area. I do not think that these would have been the purpose built 3" Mortar carrier (only because a lack of info on their use and whereabouts). The first 5, 3" Mortar carriers ware released in 15 Oct 42 and production ceased on 29 Jun 43 (ref Aust Mil Equipment Profiles Vol 2, M. Cecil).

Can anyone else shed light and photos on these field modified Mortar carriers?
Much appreciated.