View Single Post
Old 10-08-08, 07:10

Yes, I have made a small assumption based on the fact that the ratio of Aust built carriers in the NT compared to Universal carriers and then of those how many would have been Universal 3" Mortar carriers. Of all the photos with carriers in them taken in the NT during WW2, there are only a couple of Universal Carriers in them, in the background. I think it would be unlikely that a unit would have a mixture of vehicle types due to the logistical problems with maintenance.

I have heard Diggers stories in the NT, when they were based in the NT with units that had carriers, that they used to mount the 3" mortar on the engine cover and fire them. Not sure if they were fired on the move or stationary. One Digger could remember firing a 3" Mortar using smoke rounds, the mortar was on the engine cover and having the round land in another carrier; they were on exercise and some of the other carriers were playing the 'enemy'. I think this was down around Mataranka, not sure on exact location.

Would appreciate any more photos of Aust field modified mortar carriers and unit info, if anybody knows of it; also info of units that used the Universal 3" Mortar carrier in the NT.
Thanks