View Single Post
Old 25-11-12, 20:08

I was given to understand that Dixon Fuels of Oshawa, Ontario had several Renault Tanks after WWII that they used as log skidders. I once owned one of these & reluctantly & regrettably let it slip from my hands well over 25 years ago. Sometimes finances & external pressure win out. (Unfortunately we often figure it out too late that cash & wives can be replaced but grand old machinery is next to impossible to find!!)

This particular Renault had all doors, the turret & turret base removed. The transmission had been altered to drive from a no longer present engine mounted in the driver's area & the driver now was located where the original engine mounted. The track pads all had square holes torch cut in them to allow snow to be expelled from the area over the sprocket teeth. If you study the pictures of the newly unveiled Renault you will see similar holes in some of the track pads. My unit was a little more complete in the frontal armour but this one looks to still have the engine in the rear.
http://www.warmuseum.ca/newsletter/a...red-rare-tank/

At the time I chased several leads on parts, one being a blacksmith shop in Beaumorris, Ontario where at least one Renault had been converted. Sadly the loose turret that had been described to me had been scrapped 20 years earlier when the shop was torn down. On talking to an elderly local fellow it was confirmed that there had been tank parts there.

There was also at least one blown to bits on the range at Borden.

The man who bought my Renault remains had already bought the parts that Bill Gregg had & he had somehow retrieved many parts from the range at Camp Borden.