View Single Post
Old 07-06-07, 01:44
Derek Heuring

Default Re: RCE and Bomb disposal info needed

Quote:
Originally posted by CMandville
Hi

I am helping out a friend who re-enacts RE Bomb disposal. Can you tell me if there was a Canadian RCE unit that did the same work?

If there was would they have worn a bomb disposal badge on the BD sleeve?

any web links appritiated

Cliff
Cliff, that's a good question regarding R.C.E. Bomb Disposal units. In all my research on Royal Canadian Engineers I've never come across mention of such a Canadian unit. I've heard of Field Companies, Field Park Companies, Stores sections, Mechanized Equipment Sections, Port Operation Companies, Inland Water Transport Operationf Companies, Railway Operating Companies, Assault Squadrons, Bridging Companies, etc. etc. but I've never heard of a purely Bomb Disposal Section in the R.C.E.s The Brits had many Bomb Disposal companies within the R.E.s, the first of which were formed within weeks of the declaration of war. By 1940/41 Britain had 10,000 soldiers involved in bomb disposal so I imagine they had no need for Canadian bomb disposers. However, having said all this we can be sure that Canadians were trained in E.O.D., especially demining. I just don't know if they were in specific, dedicated Bomb Disposal sections.
As for your question regarding the badge, Bomb disposers had a different badge than the flaming bomb we're all familiar with and still in use today. In WW II the Bomb Disposal Badge was a stylized WW I aerial bomb worn on the lower left sleeve approximately 6" above the end of the cuff and above any good conduct chevrons. In the modern Canadian Army, we wear the flaming bomb to at the same location to indicate the wearer is HA, HB, or HX trained. In WW II a flaming bomb badge above a soldiers chevron(s) indicated he was an Engineer.
Not a definitive answer for you Cliff, but I hope this info helps somewhat. Derek.