View Single Post
Old 01-05-16, 17:03

Derk,

Dreadnaught wrenches - They were definitely manufactured by Gray (see images)

Instruction Book - The "Instruction Book" series pre-date "Maintenance Manual MB-F1". Does your truck have a "Publications Plate" on the driver's door? If so, it likely lists MB-F1 as the Maintenance Manual and your vehicle was produced after the "Instruction Books" went out of print. I do not know exactly which Ford publication has the code SE-93-A but I think that it is safe to assume that it pre-dates MB-F1 because the Ford publication code SE-93-C appears at the lower left corner of the title page of MB-F1.

Starting Crank - On page 203 of "Ford, Illustrated Army Parts Catalogue, 1940 - 1942" the only vehicle that lists a two piece crank handle is the F8. BB 17036 B Handle - Starting Crank, and 67 17040 Extension - Starting crank. All other vehicles list a single C11Q 17038 Crank Assembly - starting. We both see that Ian Fawbert's list shows a C39Q 17038 - Starting Crank Handle Assembly. My take on this is that aside from F8, A 1 piece crank handle is correct and in 1943 there was a design change to the 1 piece crank handle.

Derk/Rob

Clip, wrench - I too have an NOS Dreadnaught set held together with a red clip. This particular set has the correct size combinations for a Chorehorse tool kit. Similar clips were used for other Gray production. Be careful though, there are different sizes to these clips! I have one that appears to be the same as Rob's picture but it will not fit a CMP stack of wrenches as the "U" shape is too narrow for the width of the largest handle and there is not enough height.

Pick Axes - I personally believe that the only Canadian produced vehicle that should have the British Standard Metal reinforced handle and shallow socket in the head is the Universal Carrier.

My reasoning:
The Carrier part #s
C01UC 100720, Head - Pick (U.K. #JA 0072)
C01UC 100721, Helve - Pick (U.K. #JA-0073)
The Ford CMP part #s
C01Q 17169, Helve - Pick (DND10519)
C01Q 17170 Head - Pick (DND10516)

If these were the same items supplied on Ford vehicles then they should have the same part numbers and certainly a good quantity of other general tools supplied with the carriers had C01Q part numbers.

Also, the Ford Lynx had a pick with the standard Ford C01Q part numbers and attached you will find a period illustration of it (you will also likely note the illustration of the Carrier Walker 925 jack and jack block).

Colin
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01140.JPG   DSC01141.JPG   DSC01142.JPG   DSC01144.JPG