View Single Post
Old 01-11-18, 17:08

I recently ran across a small stash of boxed, NOS Canadian Marconi valves for the Wireless Set No. 52 and at a price of $5.00 each (Cdn) could not walk away empty handed. When received, they turned out to be 5 ARP-3's and 1 12Y4.

Over 70 years of sitting, the cardboard packaging has suffered somewhat from moisture. I discovered this by reading the outer red sleeves, which are generic in design it turns out. They state that the relevant patent information can be found inside, but I could not see/find any such paperwork at all in the ARP-3 boxes.

When I finally got to the 12Y4, I discovered the outer sleeve was indeed a sleeve. The valve slide neatly out of it, contained in an inner retainer. The outside of this retainer had the patent information printed on one side stating that the valves were "Licenced under Patents owned and/or controlled by Thermonics Limited." Patented 1925-1943 inclusive." I can find nothing at all on line now about Thermonics Limited so assume it has long since vanished from the business scene.

On the side directly opposite on the inner retainer from the Patent information was the warranty information that referred the customer to a number of Radiotron offices across Canada for exchange/service. Interestingly, they had an office in Winnipeg at 356 Main Street. That was on the West side of Main Street, midway between Graham Avenue and Portage Avenue. That entire block was levelled in the 1970's and a major office tower complex constructed. At the time the Radiotron office existed, however, it would have been right next door to the CN/CP Telecommunications Centre in Winnipeg, the local hub of Telegraph activity in Manitoba.

These inner retainers are generic in design as well, capable of holding any capped or uncapped valve of the appropriate size. a white strip on the cap end of the retainer bears a black stamped ID for the valve inside.

I am guessing that Radiotron was a valve manufacturing division of the Canadian Marconi Company. Three of the ARP-3 valves are stamped with a manufacturing date of "10'41". The other two were 1943 dates I cannot recall and did not write down. When cleaning the valves in the Remote Receiver, I noted a number were dated "9/43" and some 1944 dates showed up as well. Note to self to document that data.

No sign at all of any dating on the 12Y4's so far.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Valves A.JPG   WS No. 52 Valves B.JPG