View Single Post
Old 20-07-03, 19:13
Simon Skelton

That was a very moving and thought provoking piece of work that the author penned. While I was at Beltring today I was sadened by the old soldiers there. Standing with their tins and buckets, not rattling them or getting in your face, to try and weadle some money out of you but just standing there. Full of pride and honour with medals showing. These men and women gave up everything to fight for us and their country. Their youth, their families and the utmost sacrifice.............. Life itself. They are not bitter, they were just made in a different mould if you like. They dont moan and they dont complain they just get on with their life, quite unlike some of mankind today who wants nothing more than some one else to do the work for them.
I couldnt help but notice that some people went out of their way to avoid passing these honoury men and women let alone make eye contact. I dug deep in my pocket each time I passed them and I filled up with pride when I stood face to face with one, his face had a cheery smile and he wore his medals with pride. These men and women gave everything for their country when they were asked. We should never forget them even when they pass on.
May this man from a different time, now rest with his fallen comrades. I didnt know the Gentlemen myself but I would like to offer my Sincere Condolences to his family

Simon