View Single Post
Old 17-12-14, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Bowker View Post
Unless there is an illusion involved, it isn't just the rear bracket but the whole step that is mounted differently (althought the front bracket appears to be the same shape in each case). On the green truck the front bracket appears to clear the fender while on the brown the front bracket appears to be ahead of the rear edge of the fender.
I have never seen a second/passenger side battery but that doesn't mean it never happened.
When the bracket layout shown on the green truck was used on the driver side, the battery was aligned transversely as the "standard" battery box will not fit lengthwise within these brackets.
My speculation is that the transverse battery may have been a C15A feature as otherwise the fuel tank I received with my C15A (no guarantee it hasn't been swapped from a larger truck but certainly not a C60X tank) is an interference fit between spring hangers and the step bracketry (brown truck style) on the driver side. I have original appearing battery tray support plates for both longitudinal and transverse battery mountings.
Overall, my feeling is that unless there's proof that the brackets your truck came with are definitely wrong (more than the mismatch of fender and step) or the setup offends you, they might as well stay. One way would be to just let the mudflap flex forward to seal the gap although this might look odd if the flap has the stiffener plate in it.
I'm not aware of a lever primed fuel pump for the Chevrolet but would also be interested in knowing if there's a source as it seems such a logical addition for a rarely used vehicle. On the other hand, there's not a lot of spare space in that area of the truck so the lever would need to be reasonably compact. (The combination fuel/vacuum pumps that I've seen don't fit the space available although they can help wiper performance.)
Hi Grant,
I think the whole set-up on my brown truck is "wrong" and am guessing the green truck is "correct".

It looks to be a reasonably easy fix though:
1. Unbolt and move the front vertical plate backwards to next set of holes in the chassis (there are bolts in them at moment in my truck);
2. Up-bolt the rear horizontal step support iron from the rear triangular gusset;
3. Move the rear vertical angle with the triangular gusset forwards to next set of holes in chassis (this will also correct the odd angle it is currently bolted at);
4. Re-attach the four bolts that hold the rear horizontal step support onto the rear face of the triangular gusset.

Only new holes to be drilled would be in the relocated rear horizontal step support iron, but I suspect this was new metal when truck was rebuilt 9 years ago.

But before I do all of that, am interested in any views from the forum or any photos of how their Cab 13 C60 passenger step is supported

Thanks
1944 BSA Folding Bicycle (Best "Para Bike" at War&Peace Show 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2015);
Trailer, 10cwt, Water Lightweight, 100 gall;
Trailer, 10cwt, Cargo Lightweight 10cwt No1 MkII;
Trailer, 10cwt, Electrical Repair Mk.2; Ex-Airborne REME;
Trailer, 10cwt, Lightweight, Electric Welding Mk 2;
SOLD:1943 Chevrolet C60s Wrecker