View Single Post
Old 08-12-16, 00:10
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Here is a photograph of the plate shown in a No.2 Mk II* Cdn Carrier. Sorry for the low resolution but the most obvious differences with this plate assembly are the length (covering both PSU and Transceiver), the open front edge showing the four mounting spacers/feet along the front edge, and the carry straps either end. Pretty hefty straps, so I am thinking they might pass underneath the entire wireless assembly.

Interesting the accessories on top are still the Variometer, Aerial Base (No. 8 this time around) and the Control Box No.1.

David
I've seen that variety of top plate on a Scandinavian (Danish/Swedish?) post-WW2 WS19 setup at the War & Peace show recently. I didn't see any carrying straps (it seemed to be on a standard No.1 (or 21) carrier), but those handles would be necessary if you ever needed to lift it out of the "bin" on that UC install. The No.8 serial base indicates US or Canada - I don't think the USA ever produced the No.10 base, they just stuck with making Mk.II sets with the final upgrade to the complete station being the Eicor supply unit.

That may be an early "demountable" install, it's hard to tell from the photo.

The carrying straps are probably fastened to the ends of the set carrier "channels", like on the Carrier No.25 (which they look very similar to).

Chris.