View Single Post
Old 30-10-06, 13:18
former Resident Historian

Default CKD

Cliff, yes it was General Motors Corporation that is believed to have coined the phrase around 1923. Apart from CKD, which really means kits of parts, loose, crated, and shipped seperately, there was PKD, Partially Knocked Down, which meant say a truck complete and carted but minus glass, paint, body, mirrors, seats, etc. for local assembly, and SUP or Single Unit Packs, where a whole complete vehicle is dismantled and crated up.

So far as we know CKD was tried out on the first 175 Ford and Chevrolet units to the UK of each of C.8, F and C30S, etc. and the problems with lack of components arriving safely led to horrendous shortages requiring re-shipments, parts mixing and matching, etc. After that they went over to PKD although we now know them as the "Packs" starting with "Alpha Packs".

It would appear that as the war went on shipping to certain points was made easier when there was a local Ford or GM subsidiary. It seems that for those destinations chassis only were in some cases sent over, and we know that Holden's built their own version of the # 13 cab and derivations. I tend to call these CKD Cliff, but arguably it should be "chassis only" for local tyres, cabs if apprpropriate, and bodies to be applied. I am at a loss however to suggest:

a) if Holden put together SUP packs as well as chassis-only, i.e. received Canadian-cabbed trucks as well as cabbing/bodying chassis only and
b) how these plates got to Canada!

Can anyone please advise if there was any known form of return shipping of CMPs back to Canada as part of any Canadian-Australian Governmental financial settlement or whether entrepeneurs acquired ex-War Office trucks and then shipped them to Canada for use on the Alaska highway and other projects?