View Single Post
Old 12-09-17, 23:14

Thanks Terry but I am no subject matter expert, just a student of these subjects .

My only recollection of a forfeiture of property without compensation in Canada during the war was Order in council no 1486 by Prime Minister King and his Cabinet.

The Order in council ( or Executive Order..) thereby ordered the forced deportation and forfeiture of property of 22,000 Canadians citizens of Japanese descent from the West Coast ( British Colombia ) on 22 Feb 1942. All without compensation . A tragedy and travesty of justice in today's mind set .

All other war confiscations or destructions in Canada , borne out of military necessity , were deemed expropriations and ( duly , not always same as today I guess ) compensated . They were and still are considered claims against the Crown.

That approach dates back to responsible government in the Commonwealth and the realisation that the maxim '' the King can do no wrong '' has it's limits in democracy.

As a contemporary example, that tradition carries over in international conflicts . When a Leopard tank had to... ( Terry's friends like to go cross country in 40 ton dune buggies .. ) go through a poppy field in Afghanistan out of military necessity to reach the objective , a claims analyst ( suited up in body armour ) dutifully followed the tracks to assess the damages and compensate the farmer either in cash or in goats.

Keeps the countrymen happy and helps to conquer the hearts and minds of the people you are trying to help overseas.

Be nice to hear about the treatment of Australia's enemy nationals during the same period as a scholarly comparison .

The times were different then .

My two cents.
94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 13-09-17 at 05:00.