View Single Post
Old 26-03-18, 00:40
GM Fox I

I'm not sure khaki is inconsistent. Radio colours matched truck colours to a degree, the big differences being that early radio equipment had a dark green that wasn't matched on vehicles, and I'm pretty certain no radio gear was ever painted 'light stone' from the factory. A good deal of mid war radio ancillary parts (spares and parts boxes, splitters, signal lamp battery boxes come to mind) were khaki, as were trucks prior to 1943.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
With the assistance of Jacques Fortin, I was able to find an original replacement C25A/B capacitor for the Remote Supply. It should arrive next week and it will be great to get that portion of the project back on track.

In the meantime, I have been reading through the 2” binder of 52-Set manuals I have accumulated, and realizing I should have purchased a 3” binder, as more documentation keeps popping up.

In the process, a mystery has surfaced in the Master Parts Identification List for the 52-Set, that I want to put out to everyone for review. I will preface that comment by stating whoever did the proofreading for this document back in 1944-1945 did a great job. Quite a few corrections are noted in the descriptions. As an example, the canvas cover that rolls down over the front of the Carrier Assembly should be correctly identified on the front of it as a ‘COVER’, but some early production of the item marked it as a ‘CURTAIN’ and that term is to be disregarded.

Now to the mystery. My understanding of the 52-Set production run from CMC, is that the early sets were finished in the same wrinkle olive green as the preceding Wireless Set No. 9 Mk I Cdn. This was then switched to No. 2 Brown wrinkle finish, which covered the bulk of the production run. Finally, there is the possibility that the colour switched back to wrinkle olive green close to the end of the production run.

Where it gets interesting in the Illustrated Parts List is that the colour ‘Khaki’ is mentioned for the finish on the three spare parts and tool boxes and once for the case used on the Remote Receiver. In another location the Remote Receiver Case is referenced as being ‘Brown’ . The Main Set Carrier is always referenced as ‘Brown’.
The canvas carrier cover previously mentioned is always referred to as ‘Brown’.

The Serial Numbers of the parts I have found run from the high 7,000 range to the high 8,000 range. The interior of the ATU I received from Bruce Parker is finished in No. 2 Brown, and it has the SN 8963, so I am confident that if all relevant parts are eventually finished in wrinkle, or flat, No. 2 Brown, I will be OK. And a brown canvas for the cover should be easy enough to track down. But the reference to ‘Khaki’ puzzles me. I do not recall ever seeing it as a reference colour before on anything vehicle or signals equipment related, other than canvas goods. No. 2 Brown is so distinctly brown it seems hard to think it would be called anything else, so I am thinking ‘Khaki’ must be an error.

David