View Single Post
Old 19-06-12, 23:40

Default Started Engine in HUP today

Hi All

Well after a speedy installation of the engine it took me 2 days to get it all connected up. Actually it took 4 hours to hook everything up and day and a half to find where I had put all the parts.

When I turn on the ignition and hit the starter the engine fired right up. But there was a horrible grinding noise from the front of the engine and no oil pressure. Turn off the engine and went looking for source of the problems. Lack of oil pressure was easy to find, puddle of oil on floor right below the oil pressure line which wasn't connected.

Fixed that and started searching for source of the noise, loosened the generator and spun fan to check the water pump and make sure fan was not hitting any thing, no problem. Spun the generator no noise. So I left the fan belt of and restarted the engine. Grinding sound still there but was easy to localize. Anyone else want to guess the source of the problem?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 HUP 18-19 June 012.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	50020

Yes I installed the front engine mount the wrong way around. Stick that one in the back of your head when your installing a Chevy engine. It is a real pain to fix this little problem about 3 hours to disconnect the various parts to lift the engine up the couple of inches necessary to remove the mount and turn it around and then put all the parts back.

I was able to replace the spring on the radiator drain cock.

Name:	2012 HUP 18-19 June 011.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	50021

Once that was all done restarted the engine and let it run nice and quiet oil pressure OK and the temperature came up to 160 F which is the thermostat on installed. In re-plumbing to install the steam relief tube, valve and the temperature gauge I discovered something I had never noticed.

Name:	2012 HUP 18-19 June 002.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	50022

The valve has a small hole drilled in it to allow a small amount always coolant to flow past the sensor.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com