View Single Post
Old 13-07-12, 00:58

Default HUP Offically Back on the Road

Hi All

Well I guess the overhaul can be considered complete, the HUP is back on the road. Not fully happy with my paint work, but I ran out of time with our MV Clubs 25th Anniversary Rally coming up at the end of the month. Just got to the point that I had to start driving it around to get any little Gremlins out.

Took it out for a drive to fill the gas tanks this morning and it runs good, couple of little problems, most notably a stick throttle linkage which kept returning to high idle instead of normal. This really made shifting a bit tough. Readjusted the throttle linkage and that seems to solve the problem.

Ten miles on the clock now and hope to get 100+ before I head for the show. With temps hitting the high 80s everyday think I will take these drives in the morning.

Point of interest for those of you working on Chevy CMPs - the later manual has some tips on adjusting the throttle linkages not found in the early manuals. Also several of these adjustments are best done before you put the nose on. Also though I'm sure nobody in the military ever bothered with the wear in the linkages. If I was doing the overhaul over again I'd rework all of the pivot shafts, pins, clevises and linkage arms to get rid of all the play.

Rough shifting was compounded by the new gear lube though listed as being 80-140 is lighter than what was in it. Got some funny oil leaks on the transmission and transfer case, no leaks from the shaft seals instead it is leaking around the top of the transmission (no its not that full) and through the shim packs on the bearing caps of the transfer case. Will watch these for a while and probably tackle them after the show. The transmission and the transfer case might be slightly over filled will keep checking the level and amount leaking.

Problem with the paint is that it didn't come out as flat as I wanted. But to put on another coat would take wet sanding the whole thing again.

Little things still need to be done like new canvas around the window frames but those can wait.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com