View Single Post
Old 27-02-21, 02:47

It appears as though the problem I was having getting the lower Knobs, Metal No. C1 off the front panel of the Receiver was a result of it not being reinstalled correctly the last time it was removed.

The upper Knobs assembly was just fine and it is the one on the receiver that mounts directly to the lower front panel plate by means of an external tooth lock washer and 10-32 hex nut.

The location of the lower Knobs assembly places it where the lower front panel mounts directly over the front portion of the lower chassis box assembly. The row of six toggle and rotary switches running along the lower section of the Receiver are all mounted directly to the front of the lower chassis box. Holes are punched in the lower front panel plate to allow this plate to clear the hex nuts holding all these switches in place.

Because the lower chassis box is directly behind the front panel in this area, the designers at CMC threaded the hole in the lower chassis box so the 10-32 stud on the base of the Knobs, Metal No. C1 can thread directly into the chassis box for maximum strength when pushing and pulling the Receiver in and out of the Carriers No. 4. When this particular Knob assembly was last installed, it was not threaded all the way flush to the front panel by hand. There was a small gap left. When the electrical grounding terminal was attached to the stud of the Knobs behind the chassis and that hex nut run home, it ended up pulling the Knobs down flush with the front panel on the outside, but in the process of doing so, the threads in the metal of the lower chassis box plate were pulled inwards, When I now tried to remove the Knobs, the bent threads were binding on the stud of the Knobs assembly. A quick in and out with a 10-32 Tap and the problem was solved.

With the two Knobs now reinstalled and the Handles No. 80 refurbished, the Receiver finally looks like it belongs with the Sender.

I am going to take advantage of the Receiver being out of the Carriers No. 4 for a while and run some tests on it again with the ZE-11 Remote Supply.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Receiver Front Panel 1.JPG   WS No. 52 Receiver Front Panel 2.JPG