View Single Post
Old 23-11-21, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Suslowicz View Post
OK, that at least is in reasonable condition - but the price (unless you have a smashed one that you need to replace) is still eye-watering. 75 Euros and with VAT at 20% plus shipping and import duty...

...I think I'll pass on that one.

(Carefully hiding the boxed British one and the spider-infested used one in the cupboard.)

The only sensible think you could do with the eBay example is to find out where the seller dug it up and give it a decent burial - preferably on top of an antipersonnel mine for when they come back after you've left and dig it up again for resale.

My problem is that I remember the original disposal prices from the 1970s.

(Those Power Distribution boards (No.8) from the Larkspur era were under £5 new and boxed - nobody wanted them because they were too big for a Land Rover (being intended for the Humber Pig and larger vehicles) - then they turned up on eBay at £250 from some comedian! They've slipped down in price since and are around £30 - £50 which is a bit more reasonable. (Still too big for most purposes though, and the terminal strip on the front is an accident waiting to happen to the first conductive object.))

Chris.
Often the aspired price is very different from what they will accept.

If dug up, then it likely cost them nothing... so an offer somewhere just above nothing would be my start point if desperate for some parts.

I didnt have a budget to shop with in the 1970s, or much in the 80s, however have been lucky over the years with the odd bit.

I guess it depends how much someone needs one and when they last saw any parts for sale.

I have a nice minty one on the shelf waiting for installation one day, so none of the parts are of interest to me.

Sherman Firefly bits however would be a different matter

Tim