Thread: Anzacs
View Single Post
Old 23-04-17, 20:51
Tony Baker

Spirit of The ANZACS is one of the best compilations of modern ANZAC and Australian military tribute music.

My favorite songs are Spirit of The ANZACs, Oh Passchendaele, Forever 18, We'll Take Beersheba, and last but not least Lest We Forget. I bought this albumn when it first came out, and played it to death on my trip down to Bandana to deliver my Sons car in 2016. If ANZAC Day brings a lump to your throat, this CD will have you bawling.

The piece entitled Forever 18, tells the story of a young sailor by the name of Teddy Sheehan, who continued to fire his deck gun during a japanese air attack on his ship. The ship was ultimately sunk. He went down with the ship, still firing his gun to protect his comrades. After hearing this song, I did some light internet research, and read about this fellow. My overwhelming thought was WHY have I not heard about this guy before now! His family have been pushing for a posthumous award, but so far it has been in vane. Imagine making the decision to knowingly end your own life for your mates, and knowing that life will end in the next few minutes for certain.

If you don't have this CD, please consider getting it. You won't regret doing so!
Attached Thumbnails
images (2).jpg