View Single Post
Old 01-11-10, 11:34
Tony Baker

Default What have I started?

Not much Blitz work got done last weekend. Here's why:-

I had been given a 'tip off' by a fellow Blitz restorer, regarding a chap who may have some of the parts I am needing.

The chap in question was contacted by me earlier in the week, and he told me that he recently had a sale on his property, when several intact Blitz trucks had been sold! He did however still have "a few bits" which may be of interest.

I arranged a time, and went there on Saturday afternoon. The fellow still had at least 6 partially complete vehicles (many of them Ford), and numerous Blitz parts spread around his property. A considerable amount of the parts I need could be sourced from this farm alone, provided I can manage removal from the vehicles.

At one stage during our meander through the acres, I pointed to a Ford radiator in very usable condition and asked about price. In reply he said he would need to check the value it would bring in SCRAP metal, and he said "after all theres no point in me selling it for $20.00, if it's worth $35.00 for scrap". He nearly floored me with his next comment that "I have a better one that you can buy, in the shed".

Since returning home, and once the drooling stopped, I have been making a shopping list for my return trip in coming weeks.

As if that wasn't enough, I had a phone call this afternoon from a fellow about 2-3hrs away who had heard I was looking for Ford Blitz parts. This guy has a complete F60L which he intended to restore but lost interest. He has two engines (one rebuilt some time ago), more doors than any Blitz needs (4 or 5 he thought), 20in wheels and even ORIGINAL DOOR CURTAINS and wheel carrier with toolbox.

My wife is by no means impressed with my plan to visit in next couple of weeks to inspect, with view to purchase. Only snag might be cost of tilt-tray hire to get it back home. I also have a nasty feeling that this truck might be TOO GOOD for me to afford without organ donation!