View Single Post
Old 13-11-10, 13:18
Tony Baker

Default Sheds, Sandblasting, and Todays Events!!!!!

Hi Folks,

I have just now returned from a >200km shopping trip. Brought back a good Ford bumper, 2x headlights (complete with the trims) and a drivers side step which actually has the battery carrier still intact, though I will be using this carrier as pattern for new one. The step itself is far better than mine which was a bit chewy and needed some repair. I would have brought back a very good drivers seat and bumper shackles but I ran out of daylight before I could remove them! Whole lot cost me $50.00 and 2hrs of my time, helping to put a Nissan engine back together.

Re sandbalsting VS soda: there is a place in town that does do soda blasting, but I didn't get good 'vibes' when I contacted them. "It's just the vibe". I do plan to trial something with them and see what happens. Maybe something that I can easily replace. On the other hand, the engineering works that has done my sandblasting so far has treated me very well with both price and quality. They currently have my two mudguard front bits for repairing of major rust areas on part that was under the nose panel. The manager of the engineering company is restoring a 1942 "lendlease" Chevrolet truck, so he knows how important quality is, and is quickly learning the standards I expect. P.S: If anyone knows where he can buy a 1942 Chev truck bonnet, he would be elated, as his blew off the tilt tray when he was bringing the Chev home, and was never found!

You guys are begining to make me very nervous about shed size. Remember, its not about size, its how you use it! Besides, I can't afford anything better, at this point in time, but I already have plans for extensions on two sides with 'carport' type awnings which I can build myself, without great expense. You fellows must have more money than me, or have bigger mortgages. Ryan, you're right, BLOODY BLITZ'S, but you know their worth it. It's a special kind of sickness w/o cure, but many rewards.

I plan to start backing off buying parts for a while, until I have the shed built in January. Don't worry, I have some (many) bits put aside for me...........on a kind of lay-by if you will. They will still be there when I want to pick them up..........I think.

Anyway, I will be in Hawaii early December for around 2 weeks, and no point in having stuff laying around the yard while i'm away. If I can sort out international roaming on my phone, I might even post a couple of photos from Pearl Harbour / Arizona memorial. And before anyone laughs and points out the contradiction of lack of finances and oveseas holiday, it has been 20 years since we ventured O.S and is well due Besides, there's a family in Somalia who send me $28 a month so I should be O.K.

Thats enough for now. Will post some photos tomorrow, and hope the injury to my L) arm is not so painful by then. I strained it today, hoisting a Blitz bumper into my car (Ford KA-the bubble shaped thing). My wifes car is the good one and she wouldn't appreciate a rusty hulking thing over her seats, despite the tarp around it. I need to keep her onside for sewing the canvas for Blitz seats, and hopefully side curtains. She......er........doesn't know about any of this yet, so just keep it to yourself, OK.

Tony B.