View Single Post
Old 28-10-06, 09:40

Default Diamond T semi trailer

OK guys the thread that i put up for information on the Italian trailer certainly produced some interesting and helpful information,many thanks to all. Now another item that has been bugging me for many years concerns the Diamond T 980/981 tractor converted for semi trailer use by Shelvoke and Drewry in the UK. Over 200 were thus converted some also by Dyson and SMT, i have just over 20 photos of the subject but all are factory or demo shots my question is where in the hell were they used, in all the years in this hobby i have never come across a photo or film shot of them in use either in the UK or europe. Some info i have suggests they were used to ferry new tanks from the factories but still no photographic evidence and according to Bart the RCASC and RCEME were issued with some is there any thing in Canadian archives guys. One of my photos states the vehicle is part of contract 2059 to 2147 88 vehicles in all so you guys with the contract info may be able to help, in one of Bob tucks books there are photos of demobbed units a couple complete and further trailers on Foden heavy tractors i also have some shots of them transporting PW Centurion tanks weighing in at 50 ton, not bad for a 30 ton trailer. All of these civvy units were operated by Crook and Willington, again when and where were they auction off. SO a summery can we between us all find any photo or written evidence of them in military use

thanks
Les
Attached Thumbnails
mlu24.jpg