Thread: Chevrolet C8
View Single Post
Old 29-03-18, 22:39

Default Update...

Quick update on where I am with the C8.

Rebuilt the Carter carb - the accelerator pump leather washer had degraded and was the source of the issues. It now revs properly.
Had few ignition issues, so went to put new capacitor in and gap the points. Blooming heck!! What a job on a Cab 12!!! Never again - I've gone the electronic ignition route (Jolley Engineering kit). Fit and Forget! Much better pick up, smoother and no more cursing at the points!

There's a couple of oil leaks to sort out from around the sump area - cant quite see exactly where its coming from. Not bad, I guess its like the Land Rover empty oil warning system - when it stops dripping its time to fill it up!

While I'm here, gear box and rear diff oil. The Drivers instruction manual states a Hypoid 90 for the rear diff and C600 or Hypoid 90 for the gearbox. Miller oils do a EP90 hypoid suitable for transmissions with brass and bronze components, which sounds OK. Many say not to use an EP oil, Morris do AG90 without ep additives, is this suitable for hypoid transmissions? Confused

Looking at making the hoops for the rear body. I'll search the forum again for some drawings (remember seeing them before on here).
Has anyone bought any (C8) canvas recently from John and Mary Worthing? I heard that they may now only supply for American trucks and jeeps.

My tyres are OK, but a couple of them are showing signs of perishing. An internet search has resulted in very little in way of 900x13s. Any UK suppliers for this size?