View Single Post
Old 03-02-19, 00:40
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Geratic View Post
I would consider artwork as good as colour photos, so yes definitely some sort of light blue - though the sample here is strong in hue.

On the topic of markings, something I've noticed on the period b/w pictures is the II Corps formation sign has a coloured outline around the blue diamond, perhaps gold like the leaf? Something like this:

regards,
Jack
I can't say I've ever seen that, but then again I can't say I've ever looked for it. Do you have an example? There are two varieties of the 1st Corps sign: one as shown where the red lozenge merges with the upper and lower red bars, and one where the lozenge has a white outline where it intersects the upper and lower bars.

One more thing on the Hugh's painting. It accurately depicts a Royal Canadian Dragoons A Squadron Fox but what is missing is the yellow bridge class sign that should be on the right side front armour just below the mirror arm. This puzzled me until I was sent this photograph of a Royal Canadian Dragoons D Squadron Fox that has the bridge class sign under the right fender. Bingo!!! Even better it confirms the use of the black "47" unit sign which was a carryover from when the RCD were attached to the 5th Canadian Armoured Division and before they began using the more common green/blue "44" seen later.
Attached Thumbnails
fox rcd.jpg   Sized 3.JPG