View Single Post
Old 29-11-04, 15:46
former Resident Historian

Default 15 cwt

Hanno, that photo came from Sid Swallow but I regret that Rolly never sent me a copy as I assume that he gave Sid the originals back. He sent me copies of Southampton Plant photos thank goodness!

The 15-cwt was the 1937 built Ford although I have not yet seen the 1937 GM of Canada 15-cwt. I assume that it looked like the 50-off 1938 G/S trucks, one of which is featured on Colin's site and is now in theory in Vimy House. As you know Ford were supposed to supply 25 or so, and GM 25 but they elected not to quote, and Oshawa produced the whole batch at enormous cost per unit, although with all the warranty claim work GM were very heavily out of pocket. The other pilot batch was the 1940 Ford 15-cwt. G/S trucks as per Gary Mooney's in Blueprint for Victory. Those were one step away from the true CMPs, and the 1938 Chevrolets were a dead-end. That is save for proving that the standard design front axles and king-pins were just not up to what was required in a military truck design that had to do off-road work. In that respect, thank goodness the company found out before production started!

It is those originals or better copuies than Dr Gregg's book's that I am after please! Likewise the1938 6 x 4 ATs, that begat the F60H.