View Single Post
Old 30-11-04, 21:42

Unhappy Sensible Offer

Hanno,

How's that for memory, not bad for an ageing gentleman like me. I had completely forgotten it was in WT's.

Paul was indeed the man, he was an early stalwart in the Berks and Oxon area of the MVCG as we were then and I was the Area Secretary.

The jeep mentioned in the text went to Tony Oliver; those with an interest in German vehicles will know this name.

Sensible offer?........ £500 to the punters.......... a bit less to me,………….. At the time I had just acquired the F8 FFW in the picture else where in this thread, it came as a kit of parts on a trailer and a set of tea chests. Trying to find out what the thing should look like was almost impossible.

The world of CMP restoration was very much fringe then, and early stuff was nearly non existent.

It was all Jeep, Dodge a few GMC's but not many and a handful of 13 cabs and a few stalwart British truck restorers, we were all restorers then, we had to be!!.

Remember the world was not at our finger tips in terms of forums such as this and access via e-bay and the web to suppliers and dealers all over the world at the touch of a button. It was very much a case of Wally Wheatly or nothing for CMP's, and Wally didn't advertise.

As a result I have to say that I passed the truck up, although there is never a month goes by when I don't think about that decision. It's good to see it now has a good home because it did change hands a number of times before it found its present home.

Pete