View Single Post
Old 08-12-04, 19:56
former Resident Historian

Default 1940 Ford

Mark, that's one of the 40 or so [can't remember off hand how many] 1940 Model Fords ordered in 1939 as 15-cwt G/S trucks. I have found very little written evidence about them but there is enough in the DND papers to prove that these were ordered after the 1938 Chevrolets, and after all the complaints came in about the '38 trucks' shortcomings! Could you please send me a copy of the original if convenient, just in case? I have a high-speed Broadband connection.

These trucks were the immediate and direct predecessor of the true prototype DND-pattern truck, which was either an F-GT or the 4 x 4 15-cwt that features in Dr Gregg's book, featured at the back of the Windsor plant opposite Detroit. Anyhow, note that front end design that accorded with WD Spec. 36, and the 'cycle' fenders. You can see that it is just one or two setps away from the production version, with fenders attached to the sides, the deletion of the side louvres, and the change in engine access provision from what appears to be a central hinge to a removable plate.

Does anyone have a photo of the front end of an a MCC quad and Guy Quad-Ant to compare with the early F-GTs please?