View Single Post
Old 31-01-09, 14:11

Hello Jordan and other MLU members,

I can maybe add a little more information to this post, in so far as it relates to the report that LCT(1008) had not arrived. I have just posted a new thread on this forum today in connection with a scuba diving project that I am leading which started last year by diving 2 tanks and 2 bulldozers 8 miles off shore in the English Channel. As a result of the underwater survey last summer I was able to establish that these were very rare - even unique, wrecks that were intended for use by Canadian/British forces at Juno Beach. www.southseasubaqua.org.uk

LCT(A) 2428 (1008 was the loading number) had broken down and was forced to turn back with engine trouble and damage to the aft/stbd side. She was taken under tow by the tug HMT Jaunty and subsequently capsized spilling her cargo of RM Centaur tanks and D7 Armoured bulldozers into the sea. She continued to drift for some time - until she was eventually sunk by gunfire by HMT Jaunty. All crew, Royal Marines (2nd RM Armoured Support Group) and Canadian troops were rescued.

According to the Loading tables LCT(A) 2428 was carrying 15 members of 2nd RM Armoured Support Group (Q troop right section) and their 2 Centaur CS IV tanks and -

4 members from "HQ RCE 3 Cdn Div (Special Bulldozer Inc)" - "2 D7 Bulldozers Armd"
14 members from "18 Cdn Fd Coy" - "Car 5Cwt 4x4"
6 members from the "8 Kings A Coy" It also mentions "1 Truck Airborne" but is not listed as a vehicle. (I have no idea what a truck airborne is???)

Unfortunately I have no names for the Canadian personnel.

The project continues this year by trying to find the wreck of LCT(A) 2428.

If anyone has any information that may help, or would like to know more about what we have found then please let me know.

Thanks for your time.

Alison