Thread: Info needed: Questions on a ford engine
View Single Post
Old 22-11-20, 21:21
VMVC

Default Ford Flathead V8- PCV components and vacuum brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge View Post
HELLO

I am remounting a FORD MERCURY V8 flat head engine which was on my CANADIAN FORD F60L (one of the latest version 1945). The engine was dismounted some 30 years ago and I don't remember the purpose of some item. On the technical manual I had found no information about these subjects.

My first question is about the vertical part connected at the base of an additionnal part below the carburator. These part leads the depression to the wiper engines but instead to be a single pipe it is an directionnal valve (actually out of order). On its body we can read the following informations with an arrow in the direction of the wiper engine.

DONALDSON CRANKCASE VENTILATOR
TAKE APART EVERY 250 HOURS
INSTALL ARROW (--------> )

The arrow has the direction of the wiper motor.

These informations mean that it should be an non-return valve but why*?

The second question is about a little pipe starting from the valve cover at the same place that the copper pipe leading in front of engine and used for the crankshaft ventilation.
In a time I believe that this pipe should be connected to the ignitor but these last owns no hole.

I join some pics of the engine with some interressing informations. The carburator was made by FORD and also the capacitor connected to the ignitor. The engine was rebuild in GREAT BRITAIN by REME workshop on the 15/11/51.

Best regards
Hello Serge,

The items you are referring to are part of the PCV system for these engines. The part with the two large holes is a spacer than goes under the carburettor and allows crankcase fumes to be drawn into the intake manifold. The part with the arrow is the PCV valve which controls when the fumes are drawn into the manifold based on the vacuum in the manifold. See attached photo.
A small oil-bath air filter is attached to the fuel pump stand to filter the air pulled into the crankcase by the manifold vacuum through the PCV valve.

The other thin tube is used to supply a vacuum to the distributor to activate the vacuum brake on the distributor advance. It attaches to the intake manifold by a "banjo" at the fitting called a vacuum breaker which also supplies vacuum to the wipers.

Just flip the spacer over and it should connect up correctly to the front of the manifold and remove the copper tube to the engine front cover. the wiper hose should attach where you have the copper tube attached at the manifold (vacuum breaker). If no vacuum wipers are fitted that hole needs to be plugged.
You may have to repair the thin tube from the engine front cover to the manifold. I cannot tell from the photo if it is intact.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3443A.JPG   IMG_4054A.JPG  

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 22-11-20 at 21:45. Reason: Added installation tips