View Single Post
Old 22-03-06, 21:29
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Default Squadron Photos

Mark & Geoff,

I now have all the Squadron photos; A, B & RHQ as well as the RHQ NCO photo and two Group photos of all the officers. I don't believe all the photos were taken the same day or by the same photographer as there is noticeable quality differences. B Squadron has the best and largest photo, a proper panoramic, all the men and officers being clearly identifiable. Also, it seems that the photographer Copley hired hung around and took small group and individual photos as I have seen many nice photos from B Squadron guys.

The "A" Squadron photo as posted is a lousy photo, the photographer is set too far back (probably because he did not have a proper panoramic camera, but a regular large format) the men are not clear, it was a very slow exposure as many men are blurred from movement. However, it does show quite spectacularly the building they stayed in!? I'd like to know if the building is still around? I have a small B Sqn shot that was taken with some young Dutch girls in front of the wall with the skinny horizontal windows seen at right in my posted photo.

Art Bell's RHQ photo is labeled June 11, 1945 but it had to be taken earlier as my Dad was SOS to the 14CAR on May 27th.

The officer photos I have were identified as Oldenburg, Germany. Which may be true or they may be more likely taken in Peheim around May 11th. They are taken out in a field and the surrounding landscape shows no buildings.

If anyone is interested I'll post more, but all the scans are at home. I only have a few misc. pictures to post here at work.

Bill