View Single Post
Old 05-01-18, 06:43

Canadian Stoves:

As previously stated I was frustrated that I could find no evidence of Canadian produced Cookers, Portable, No. 2 but I have come to believe that the reason I could not find the evidence was because I assumed that the Canadian Cooker would have been based on the British model.* I did not imagine that it would be a substantially different design.

It appears that collectors of Camp Stoves have been aware of these models for some time but the knowledge of them does not seem to be widespread in our Militaria/Military Vehicle community.

Unfortunately I have only been able to find limited evidence online but I believe I have found enough to make a relatively convincing argument to support my claim that the Canadian version of the Cookers, Portable, No. 2 was in fact a Coleman Model 500 Speed Master Stove which was stored inside a cast Aluminum Pot which was based on the British design, and secured by a leather strap which was shorter than the British equivalent.

I will present this evidence in the order that I encountered it:

The first evidence was the April 1943 Stowage Chart for the Ram II tank.* Item number 76 is described as "Cooker Portable No. 2, Pots, Cooking with lid Stove, Strap" but the image only shows the Pot, Cooking with lid and the Strap.* At this point I did not think that Canada might be using something other than the British design stove

The second source of evidence were these 2 images from the Library and Archives of Canada site (copies attached below):

*http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/pam_a...=e010778901-v8

http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/pam_a...=e010778902-v8

I could see that the stove was not a British No 2 but I could not make out exactly what it was.* I still didn't start to think that there might be a "Canadian" stove but that maybe the crew was using a privately purchased stove.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01567.JPG   DSC01568.JPG   DSC01569.JPG   e010778901-v8.jpg   e010778902-v8.jpg