View Single Post
Old 14-10-23, 23:35

Hi all,

The next job I did was to remove the handbrake linkages. I learned a couple of things.
It is becoming increasingly clear that this trailer has had some modifications over the years, some more, um . . . , agricultural, than others.
So another ongoing job is trying to work out what is original and what is a modification.

Anyway, just getting to the linkage in the center of the frame was pretty tricky and restricted. Here is some that was easily visible. The lever shaft closest to the camera has something to do with the handbrake actuation equipment that goes to the rear of the trailer. Some pictures earlier in this thread show a small handwheel at the rear of the trailer between the ramps mounting points, it is used to apply/release the handbrake. This system is missing, so in the absence of a picture of an original one (anyone?), I need to design and build a new one sometime.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LRT Part of the hand brake linkage a 10 2023.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	609.0 KB
ID:	136162

Some of the nuts had to be removed with a cold chisel and others defied any mechanical sense in their design. But I got it all out of the frame.

Name:	LRT Hand brake linkage removed  10 2023.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	636.5 KB
ID:	136163

It was at this stage I realized that the mounting plate for the handbrake handle was previously welded to both the frame and the front end pivot shaft!!! Fortunately the welds were poor quality (thus probably not original) and had broken off the front end shaft. The picture below is taken from below looking up between the frame and the front end pivot shaft. Sometime, it is going to surrender to the grinder and be carefully redesigned during re-assembly.

Name:	LRT Hand brake bracket welded to front wheels pivot captioned 10 2023.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	481.0 KB
ID:	136164

I like to assign a clear engineering name to the parts I'm working with, but the "front end pivot shaft" eludes a label that I'm happy with (yeah, I know, who cares?).

Enjoy.

Sam, downunder.