View Single Post
Old 26-01-06, 13:54

Default Very good point

Quote:
Originally posted by Lang
Just thought of another suspect.

Modern fuel attacks the "rubber" tips on the old fuel needles. This can cause the tip to deteriorate.

When it gets warm (from carb heat soak after stopping) the tip gets soft and can either cause bad seating and flooding as described above or it can stick in its seat giving the impression of vapour lock.

I know many jeeps have suffered from these problems. Cure is to get a replacement all-metal needle and seat from any tune-up shop.

Lang
Lang – You raise a very good point about the modern gas attacking rubber parts. The changes in the last couple of years have been sudden (here in the US) gaskets, fuel pump diaphragms, fuel lines that had been fine all of a sudden designate. I’ve attached what happened last summer with a gas can that I’d been using for years with no problem (didn’t leak around the cap) then all of a sudden after buying gas for the generator at a different gas station the bloody gasket disintegrated in a matter of a half an hour. Your point of care with rubber tipped valves should also be taken for NOS fuel pumps.
Attached Thumbnails
copy of weare 2005 067.jpg  
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com