View Single Post
Old 25-10-21, 04:51
Bluebell

Richard, This is from memory so dont hold me to it. The early (long) pumps (3? types) are lower volume than the short pump ( both straight cut but different length gears) These long pumps were fitted in the engines of the day. Then the rear main leak off was controlled by a slinger (thread on crank? (can't remember exactly) and a flange)and a drain cavity. After some issues with off road (steep country) work the drain back pipe from the rear main cap was introduced. Then came the crankshafts with no slinger combined with the alloy inserts that held the rope (dog turd) seal. The improvement was to, at rebuild time to grind the slinger( flange) from the crankshaft and fit the applicable parts. Introducing the higher volume (short body)pumps required the upgrade of the rear seal. So as you can imagine, there might be a good number of reasons why you might have a leak. Although the flat head V8 production ran for a number of years, changes and improvements happened along the way. None of the above includes the short helical cut gear (80 pound) pump which should only be used in a race application. My previous post was done on my phone (which is painfull) There could be other issues as well, but they are long shots and unlikely. You just have to arm yourself with knowledge and keep your eyes (and mind) open when you open it up. Happy to try and answer questions from my limited knowledge.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....