View Single Post
Old 21-05-05, 04:13

Default Assault Landings By Canadian Armoured Regiments

Hello all!

Recently, I have been thinking of the Allied Armoured Regiments that made assault landings. This brought me to thinking about all the assault landings that the various Canadian Armoured Regiments made during WWII. It seems that between them, the regiments of the Canadian 1st and 2nd Armoured Brigades, made quite a large number of assault landings.

I decided to make a listing of the Canadian Armoured Regiments that have participated in assault landings. In the first list I am after the units that landed the day of the assault and not later. The second list is for units that still made a landing but not on the day of the assault but later. Looks like the Calgary Tank Regiment participated in more landings than any other! This is what I have so far:

Assault Landings:

14th Armoured Regiment - The Calgary Tank Regiment - KOCR
-Dieppe on August 19, 1942
-Italy on September 3, 1943

12th Armoured Regiment - The Three Rivers Regiment
-Sicily on July 10, 1943

11th Armoured Regiment - The Ontario Regiment
-Italy on September 3, 1943

10th Armoured Regiment - The Fort Garry Horse
-Normandy on June 6, 1944

6th Armoured Regiment - 1st Hussars

27th Armoured Regiment - The Sherbrooke Fusilier Regiment

Non-Assault Landings:

14th Armoured Regiment - The Calgary Tank Regiment - KOCR
-Sicily on July 13, 1943

12th Armoured Regiment - The Three Rivers Regiment
-Italy on September 30, 1943

11th Armoured Regiment - The Ontario Regiment
-Sicily on July 13, 1943

Any corrections or additions to these lists will be welcome! My main source was the Royal Canadian Armoured Corps Illustrated History.

Next, I would like to make a comparison with some British and U.S. Armoured units.

Cheers,

Jon Fitzgerald
Calgary,AB,Canada