View Single Post
Old 16-03-09, 14:06

Default Lend lease Chevrolet 30 cwt truck information

Hi, i'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone can help with some information about the history of the 30cwt lend lease chevs that were sent to Australia. A friend and i have 2 of these trucks ( a 134 1/2 inch wheelbase and a160 inch wheelbase) and have found little factual information about them. Both trucks are model 4409 RHD and were contract number DA-W-389-QM-418 according to the Maintence Manual. The questions that i have are;
Were the cabs sent to Australia as complete cabs or seperate panels and assembled by Holden? (All the trucks we have plus a number of spare cabs are the american cabs with a holden body plate but are assembled with clutch head screws. I mention the clutch head screws only because i haven't seen other holden products with these fasteners.)
Were the cabs painted in America or Australia and what colour?
I believe some were used by the Military and some for essential services hence my question about colour.
What plants in the USA produced these trucks? Are there any records of actual chassis no's and vehicle destinations? Mine has a chassis no 42 D4400-4B500 And engine no BFR496445. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks jeff .