View Single Post
Old 18-03-09, 14:40

Default australian Lend Lease Chevs

Hi Jeff and Jeff of Queensland. I am currently restoring a 1942 Lendlease Chev with Stake Body. Engine number is BFR492940. It has a Holden badge on the firewall containing - Body P289 Model M14338 Serial No 4400
I understand from its maintenance Manual (TM 10-1339) and Parts List book (TM 10-1524 recently purchased) that it is a Model 4409.
An elderly former Aiforce driver now deceased told me a few years ago that the Lend Lease Chevs were flat packed and shipped to Australia during WW2 to be used for both the australian Armed Services and for the war effort generally. He told me that a shipment to Western Ausralia was assembled in the Holden factory that was then in the Perth suburb or Mosman Park.
P = Perth and mine is the 289th built in Perth. I understand shipments also went to A = Adelaide and B = Brisbane. Two other plates I have seen in WA are P40 and P280 both Model 4400 and three other engines begin with BFR.
I also am interested in more Australian history of Lend Lease Chevs. I will insert some images when I work out how to.
Regards, Eric