Thread: Info needed: Re-silvering Headlamp Reflectors
View Single Post
Old 19-09-18, 03:03

Default Interesting topic...... more info is needed.

In manufacturing regular mirrors the silvering is done on the back side them it it coated (shellack?) to prevent tarnishing. In old antique mirrors the coating starts to deteriorate near the edges.

In fancy optical mirrors the silvering is done to the top surface, so as not to have any distortion from the glass thickness..... these require constant special handling ....again some form of sealer must be applied to prevent tarnishing.

In the cab 11 Chev/Ford headlights and also the 1942/46 Chev headlights the reflector is tarnished silver on the inside and brass "looking" on the back side.

Mac's old catalogue makes mention of plating but do not indicate silver plating or chrome finish.

In any event, where the original 1940 era reflectors plated or "silvered"????

The chemicals for silvering are rather nasty BUT would it be possible to replate them in silver....???? what solution would be required? any lest nasty than "silvering"...... Once plated would the reflectors need extensive polishing with a variety of jewelry compounds on a buffer wheel(s)..... and then sealed??

Since I have a number of tarnished reflectors it sounds like a nice Winter project ..........

I will recruit Grant on the search for the necessary chemicals for silver plating...... plastic tank, DC current and voila!!!!! there goes the family silverware for anodes!!!! or is it cathode?

AS a point of interest, years ago, I purchased a complete cab 11 headlight with the hooded steel lens cover...... when I took it apart I discovered that that bottom half of the reflector had been " hurriedly" painted with flat black paint......so only the top half of the reflector actually pushed light out directly under the external hood.

Comments / suggestions welcomed.

PS<<<<<first road block...plating solution is potassium cyanide...... and improperly used can generate cyanide gas!!!! not a basement project........
..............>>>>>>> still exploring other less lethal solutions ........
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 19-09-18 at 03:39.