View Single Post
Old 13-05-13, 02:12

Chris - Thank you for the compliments!

The trick to having a specialized impression at a reenactment (radio operator, military police, sapper, etc) is having at least 2 or 3 people that are really focused on that impression. If you try to press one of your riflemen into carrying a radio, or chaining him to a field phone if he isn't really into it, it won't be used properly and you won't realize your tactical potential. One time, we issued backpack radios to every unit so as to be able to communicate with the battalion CO so he could direct movement quickly. One of the unit commanders viewed the radio as an encumbrance, and left it sitting on the side of a road (incidentally, his unit became isolated from the rest of the battalion and rendered useless to the tactical situation).

From what I've seen, the tranceivers tend to command the higher prices. The Torn E.bs are very cool receivers, and if you have a CP set up with room for a seperate transmitter/receiver arrangement, you don't need a tranceiver. The backpack radios in the photos are post-war Russian copies of the German Torn Fu.g radios. The Fu.d2 in the photos is a replica built on a resin faceplate. The resin ones are nice because they're cheap and you don't have to alter an original radio. The downside is that the knobs don't turn.

BTW, I had bought the 15 W.S.E.b to put in the back of my replica kubel, but am having thoughts about selling it instead. It's already set up for the FRS and uses original headsets, mic, and key.