View Single Post
Old 16-02-19, 01:59

Default Loom Binding

This next sequence of photos shows the prepping of the adapter cable at the socket end of the system. I am not sure if there is an art, or science, to determining the most suitable length of conductor wires to work with or not. You have to just figure out a good length to work with that enables all socket terminals on the B9G to be reached easily, with enough room for soldering work, and at the other end of the spectrum, creating a rat’s nest! It doesn’t help that the actual cable end gets in the way and adds to the overall list of considerations.

The first two photos show the final length of free wires being determined and the cut point for the loom being marked off by a ring of masking tape. The winding of this tape is important to prevent the loom from fraying out of control before you are ready to deal with it.

Raiding Debbie’s sewing kit was a big help for this part of the work as she had a small set of very sharp, pointy nosed scissors that worked really well. I cut the loom back from the open end to the ring of tape and then snipped the loom away around the ring of tape. It is important not to tug on the loom too much as this will cause it to fray out from under the tape, despite your best intentions. Care should also be taken in this regard when unwrapping the tape.

The third photo shows the cable with the required amount of loom removed and you will notice a dark band on the first ¼-inch of loom. This is an application of clear nail polish to seal the end of the loom from any further unravelling. Nail polish is great for this as it dries very quickly.

Picture 4 shows the start of the binding process. I used a #10 Size Crochet Thread for this work. Pure cotton, and a 350 yard roll will only cost about $10.00 Cdn. I wanted about half an inch of binding, from the open end of the loom back up the cable. As shown, you start at the back end by tying a snug loop around the cable and knotting it on top where you can see it. The free end of the thread is laid out towards the end of the cable. Your first row of binding is going to cover this loose thread end up. You take your working end of the thread and start your first wrap of binding from the knot in your initial loop, the first pass going directly behind your initial loop. It is important here to keep a good tension on the thread as you are winding around the loom and keep each pass of thread directly up against the last one. Once you have made the first pass directly behind the initial loop and are back at the knot, cross over the knot and continue the winding process towards the open end of the loom. When you are about half way down the free end of the thread from tying the initial loop, you can trim off the excess of that free end and continue on towards the end of the loom. Once you reach the end of the loom, I usually just go far enough to cover the last fuzzy bit. At this point you then start winding a second row of binding, back towards your start point. When you are back at your start point, you return with a third and final layer of binding, back to the front of the loom. When you reach the front of the loom on the final layer, trim the binding thread to leave about ¼-inch of an open end. Then, while holding the binding with the thumb and finger of one hand, use a small, jeweller’s size slotted screw driver to tuck the loose binding thread end in under the front of the binding you have just completed. You can see this in the final photo, which also shows the last very important step. As soon as you have finished the binding, it will need a couple of coats varnish, or even better urethane clear coat. I prefer the urethane as it is a water based product and the binding thread is cotton. The cotton will get nice and wet and shrink even more snugly onto the cable as it cures. And that little loose end you tucked away will never come loose again.

David
Attached Thumbnails
British Valve Adapter Project 17.JPG   British Valve Adapter Project 18.JPG   British Valve Adapter Project 19.JPG   British Valve Adapter Project 20.JPG   British Valve Adapter Project 21.JPG