View Single Post
Old 04-05-18, 05:55
carrier mech

Default Bren Pogo Stick: Real or Repro

I recently bought a Bren stem (aka pogo stick) mount from Ebay. The buyer indicated, several times, that it was an original, minty, and in his possession from the mid 80s when he brought a carrier out of a barn in France and imported it to the US. I already had an excellent repro from Rick Debruyn, but thought an upgrade to an original would be a nice treat.

It showed up yesterday, but there seem to be a few inconsistencies from what I would expect on a 75 year old item. So I am going to post some photos, and would ask the opinions of those who have known originals, as well as known repros. I'll point out a few of the things that bother me, and await the opinions of the collective group.

First off is the little 6-32 screw. It has a plated finish as opposed to the non-plated screws that I am used to with that vintage. As well, there seems to be some odd wear on the end of the little locating stud more akin to welding and filing.

Then there is the long spring. The ends are plain, and this one is actually two shorter springs welded in the middle. Seems odd that the military didn't have the required springs manufactured.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0001.jpg   DSCF0016.jpg   DSCF0015.jpg   DSCF0005.jpg   DSCF0008.jpg  

Last edited by rob love; 04-05-18 at 06:37.