View Single Post
Old 01-08-13, 23:13

Default Transmission out on the bench

Hi Guys

Thanks for the comments and questions:

Bob emptying the vodka bottle was part of the anesthesia for the extraction. As to checking the rest of the transmission for cracks as a preventive, I'm going to check into having all the gears magnifluxed but only if I can get replacement parts. If I can't replace them do I really want to know there are invisible cracks.

Lynn the third gear as several of the gears on the lower cluster are press on gear with pins, I've found a 3rd gear NOS replacement but need to check that it has the same number of teeth. According to one source Chevy had two different sets of ratios for this 4 speed box. My preference is to replace the entire lower cluster if I can find one.

Tony yes I have left the front drive shaft in, need it to be able to move the truck in and out of the shop in the winter on snow or to even drive the thing on wet grass with out tearing up the grass till the lugs on the tire get a grip on the dirt. I tried driving it years ago without the shaft in and it doesn't seem to make any difference in fuel efficiency, but I did get it stuck.

Bob, will let you know if I can't find one down here thanks for the offer.

Lance, from the looks of the teeth it looks like it was a Gorilla using his feet to shift the box, were you able to find replacement gears for the HSC?

Next step is to start cross referencing gear box part numbers CMP parts book, to Mapleleaf parts book, to Chevy US parts book. I'll be giving the source I found NOS upper shaft 5 years ago and see if I can luck out again.

Took me 2 hours 15 minutes to have the transmission out of the truck and apart on the bench. I suspect that was the easy part of the job.

Cheers Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Beauty Broken Tooth 015.jpg   Beauty Broken Tooth 016.jpg   W Beauty Broken Tooth 011.jpg   W Beauty Broken Tooth 017.jpg  
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com