View Single Post
Old 24-08-13, 01:01

Default It's Alive

Hi All

As the old movie said "It's Alive". Finished installing the NOS transmission this morning and took it for a short drive. This transmission is much, much quieter than the one it replace probably the quietest of the three now. Only problem with that is the truck now has lots of new noises or more likely ones I could never hear before over the noise of the transmission.

Took it for couple miles then brought it back to the shop so could check for leaks, etc. This weekend will take it for a real drive. Shifting is still very stiff the detent balls are still hard to get out of the notches. Guess I'll just have to drive it to get it loosened up.

Little bit of gear whine in reverse and 1st, much less in 2nd and 3rd and totally silent in 4th.

As removing things like transmissions always goes faster than installing it took me about 3 hours to get the transmission out on the bench and 4-6 hours to get it from the bench to back installed in the truck. Because I did a couple of things in the wrong order and had to back track it probably took me 2 hours longer than it should. While the whole process, in particular what I did in the wrong order was fresh in my mind I sat down and wrote it all up 30 steps removing and about the same installing. Will add them to my web site with pictures at some point.

To your question Bob about prototype blasting cabinet, I'll post some pictures and design comments soon, think I'll start a separate thread for that. Blasting media for now is sodium bicarbonate wanted something that would take of paint and dirt but not damage the steel. Primarily for the Lincoln restoration. My problem with the standard commercial cabinets is they are too small. I wanted something big prototype is 48"x32"x32". But the big issue was I wanted 100% containment of the the dust.

UPS is playing dumb about the crate, when I called them the response was well sometimes we'll remove a crate and repackage if we can't get it on the truck. I think this is double speak for when we bust the crate we pretend it never had a crate and hope you don't notice. Which is kinda dumb on insured packages, you think they try and claim it was poorly packaged.

By the way Jim Tygart's Obsolete Chevy Parts has been great to deal with even sent me an extra set of transmission gaskets as I was disassembling the unit. The Gasket Set is from an outfit called Bestgasket.com though they don't sell direct they sell through companies like Obsolete. What is kind of interesting is that both sets of gaskets that Obsolete sent me are dated Jul-13 so they are freshly made. Bestgasket site has a link to where to buy. Quick look at what they carry and it looks like they maybe a good resource. One thing I like is they make there own gaskets with Made in the USA on the package.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com