View Single Post
Old 09-03-21, 17:20

Good Evening, Chris, and thanks for your comments. No rain felt here at all actually. We do have showers forecast for the day and a high of 8 degrees, but with 80% of our snow gone yesterday, I am not complaining at all!

I think I looked into that Hellerman/Tyton product a year or so back, though I am not sure why. I believe it was to do with some C42 Set cables I was considering making at the time. I ended up solving that problem by selling the set. Won’t be happening THIS time round, however.

If I am correct in my recollections, there were some rather colourful nicknames floating about for the tool required to apply those H/T rubber sleeves and the tools were a tad pricy for the very limited use I would get from one.

For this particular 52-Set cable, my first priority was to find the right cable type and get the finished length correct. Next, get as close to the original look as I could, based on the current availability of required parts. If I still smoked, I would say I would like to get close AND have the cigar! If I can figure out the length of required sleeve and a colour of yellow reasonably close to the rubber originals, I will be a happy camper.

Lettering to go on the sleeve is another matter at the moment. I have yet to see close up details of any surviving such Leads and the images to date only show one small line “NO. C7” out of an as yet unknown number of lines.

You are spot on with the number of versions of identification for cables during the war. I can also add to that list you posted with the 19-Set cable included in the last photo I posted. It is simply stamped with silver paint on the black rubber sleeve on each end lug with the cable ZA Number. Nothing else at all. Very cryptic and without a VAOS Reference at hand, quite a challenge to identify.

Enjoy you evening, Chris, and thanks again!

David