View Single Post
Old 10-03-21, 01:05
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Fantastic Pictures, Bruce. Thanks for posting with the specs!

Beats me what the original material was the ID Sleeve s fabricated from. It certainly does not look like the typical woven fabric, resin impregnated stuff one usually sees. The Sleeve you have looks very smooth with a consistent solid colour throughout it.

The only cables I have on hand with yellow ID Sleeves that still have a look and feel of rubber or soft 'plastic' are on a pair of CPP-2 output cables and a late issue 19-Set Black Rubber 12-Pin Connector Cable from Set to Control Box.

A 19-Set 3-Lead Battery Cable on Hand has one single cable yellow sleeve and a double wide yellow sleeve on it where the material is hard and 'plastic' feeling.

Two other yellow ID Sleeves are on the Headgear Type 10's I plan to use with the 52-Set eventually, Photo attached. They are 1.25 inches in length, just slide up and down the cable are still pliable but feel more to the 'plastic side of things than rubber.

David
The current (1980-onwards) cable ID sleeves are pre-printed plastic, non heat-shrink and slipped on (I think).

Larkspur-era were rubber of some (Hellerman) type, probably going back to the 1940s or 1950s.

WW2 version were the pre-printed cambric (Giant Systoflex) varnish impregnated to render it water/rot-proof. Later versions appear to be paper (for cheapness) and various other thin plastic tubing/sleeving, or stamped and paint-filled metal tags (as with the ZA.3141/2/3 WS19 aerial coax feeders)

I will, at some unspecified point in the future (Do Not Ask!) finally manage to hit the Post Office when there is no queue out of the door. At that point (assuming mail to Canada is working) I'll mail you some goodies: chain-link insulators, a length of P11 cable, and an assortment of sleeving. (If I actually have a spare sleeving tool, you'll get that and a small bottle of Hellerine lubricant so you can roll your own.)

Bear in mind I have not been to the Post Office since before Christmas, and I will need to fill out customs forms for just about everything.

Best regards,
Chris.